Monday, October 17, 2011

Aquatic Dreams

There is something extremely fishy about the Ningaloo Reef region! We have all enjoyed snorkelling the clear blue waters of Coral Bay for the past week(only intended on 3 days but found it too hard to leave).  It's abundance of coral and sea life so close to the shore is truely amazing and we have seen everything from giant Blue Gropers (larger than a ride on mower), Manta Rays leaping from the water, green turtles, whales and hundreds of colourful 'Nemo type' reef fish. Emm and I have even managed to re-instate our primitive hunter gathering skills, enjoying fresh feeds of Trevally and Dart caught off a nearby beach.

 Fresh drinking water is not to be taken for granted up this way as most taps contain it's salty/mineral rich poor cousin that bursts from underground bores at skin scalding temperatures. Even I am beginning to feel a bit scaley.  A day trip to Exmouth the other day exposed a whole new area to explore, and after a quick surf (the wind swung onshore and howled just as I hit the water) at the local spot x we have decided to move up there for a few days. 

The kids are still having a ball (I let them play with a Frisbee too if they're good) as they have made some good friends that are travelling the same path and they are still enjoying the water.  I enjoyed a full-moon night ride the other night with a couple of other blokes at the campsite and Emm just can't get enough of the snorkelling.

We had power for the first time in two weeks today and set the kids up watching 'The Sound of Music' before bed.  They thought they were in paradise.

Happy Days

No comments:

Post a Comment